Quinoa Avocado Salad with Black Beans Over Arugula
This is one of my favorite healthy recipes, taken from the website of Dr. Mark Hyman:
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 1 3/4 Cups Water
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 2 Scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Pumpkin Seeds toasted
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 Tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 4 Cups Baby Arugula
- 1 Fresh Ripe Avocado sliced
- 1 Can (15 ounce) Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro
- Rinse the quinoa and drain. Place in a saucepan with the water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat. Let simmer for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit, covered, for another 8 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Remove the quinoa from the pan and fluff with a fork onto a plate to cool. When cool, add the pepper, scallions, and pumpkin seeds. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lime juice, and salt. Toss with the quinoa.
- To serve, place arugula on a plate, spoon the quinoa salad on top, then garnish with fresh sliced avocado, a spoon of drained black beans, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
- Optional: add slices of grilled chicken breast seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Note : if you are on the advanced plan, omit the quinoa.