Butternut Squash and Kale Gnocchi
This is one of my favorite recipes, courtesy of The Food Network:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 17 .5-ounce package potato gnocchi
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese (optional; can also be halved if needed)
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the squash and cook, stirring, until slightly soft and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, sage, red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt; cook until the garlic is soft, about 2 more minutes.
Preheat the broiler. Add the chicken broth to the skillet. When it starts to simmer, stir in the kale and cook until it wilts slightly, about 2 minutes. Add the gnocchi, stirring to coat. Cover and cook until the gnocchi are just tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover and stir in 1/4 cup parmesan and the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup parmesan; transfer to the broiler and cook until golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 438; Fat 23 g (Saturated 14 g); Cholesterol 76 mg; Sodium 989 mg; Carbohydrate 42 g; Fiber 6 g; Protein 16 g