5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken
Submitted to TCRA by Ashley
Recipe from the website Real Food Whole Life
Ashley says: "My favorite source of gluten free, dairy free and hassle free recipes is the Real Food Whole Life blog. The 5 ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken is my favorite. I typically halve the recipe but use the recipe required amount of salsa and it makes it enough for two dinners for two people and a lunch. We’ll use it for tacos one night and rice or quinoa bowls another night piled with extra veggies. It’s really tasty, satisfying and couldn’t be easier to make."
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1-2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1-2 medium bell pepper (red, yellow, orange or green), thinly sliced
- 1 16-oz jar or container salsa, divided (any brand you like, avoid those with added sugar or ingredients you can't pronounce)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
1. Add the chicken, onions, peppers, about ⅔ of the salsa, and salt to a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
2. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6, or until the chicken and vegetables are very tender.
3. Uncover and remove the chicken to a cutting board. Shred with two forks or cut into pieces.
4. If there is a lot of liquid in the slow cooker you can drain some off or leave it all in, depending on whether you want a drier or saucier consistency. Add back the chicken, the remaining salsa, and lime juice, stirring everything together. Taste and add additional salt, lime juice or salsa if you like.