Vegetarian Slow-Cooker Lentil Sloppy Joes Over Spaghetti Squash
Submitted to TCRA by Ashley
Recipe from Ambitious Kitchen
Ashley says: "This recipe is tasty, easy, and vegetarian: Vegetarian slow cooker lentil sloppy joes - I love the flavors of this recipe, it is a satisfying comfort food with zero guilt."
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced (carrot is optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 - (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 - (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water, plus more if necessary
- 2 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon gluten free soy sauce
- 1 spaghetti squash, washed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large slow cooker, add in all ingredients except spaghetti squash. Stir to combine.
- Cut the washed spaghetti squash in half around the middle and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash halves face down in the slow cooker right on top of the lentils. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until squash is tender and lentils are cooked completely. If the lentils seem dry in any way, just stir in some water until it reaches a nice thick, consistency.
- Remove spaghetti squash and shred inside with a fork. Divide among bowls and add lentil sloppy joe topping. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Serves 4-6 depending on how hungry you are. Nutrition information provided is based on recipe evenly divided between 4 people.