Savory Chicken and Ginger Congee
As the seasons change, it’s normal to feel the need for something a bit more substantial. The colder weather inviting us to bring out the crock pot and get cooking! This is a warming and nourishing variation on the breakfast congee that we recommend eating a few times a week. You can use this recipe for your morning congee, if you like, or for a gentle nourishing meal on these crisp shorter days. This is a combination of many recipes and some modifications I’ve made along the way. As always, halve the recipe if you can’t get your partner to use the magic of congee with you. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
· 6 cups water
· 4 cups organic low-sodium chicken broth
· 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
· 1 cup organic long-grain brown rice
· 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, skin on and sliced into 4 chunks
· 2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more as needed
· 6 scallions—2 whole, 4 thinly sliced for garnish
· Coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. In the slow cooker, combine the rice, stock, water, salt, sliced ginger and whole scallions. Cover and cook on low overnight or high
for 4 hours.
2.Pick out and discard the ginger and whole scallions. Stir the chicken into the congee.
3.Season the congee with cilantro, scallions and additional salt if desired.